Sunday, February 24, 2008

The One They Got Right

Firstly, no I haven't abandoned this place. I've been sick the past few days and I've been dealing with a lot of shit this past week. I have, however, been writing, so expect frequent updates in the near future, especially on the top 100 list. I also would like to extend the invitation to my friend Noah (if he's reading this) to record the video blog for the 10 best and worst albums of the year if you're up to it. I'd like to do that soon, so let me know if you're still interested. Either way, I'll be posting my list for the best albums of 2007 soon, but I'm hoping we'll be able to have some sort of debate to switch things up a bit.

That, however, wasn't the reason I posted this. Even though my voice is unlikely to be heard by any member of the Academy, I would like to thank the Academy Awards for once against being an example of a quality award show and for getting the most important award. No, I'm not talking about Best Picture (especially since the only Best Picture nominee I've seen is Michael Clayton). The award I'm referring to is that of Best Original Song, and although I was disappointed that Enchanted got 3 nominations while Edder Vedder was snubbed, I'm happy to say that the Academy made things right in the end. For those who missed it (and shame on those who did), the winner was "Falling Slowly" from the absolutely brilliant indie film "Once." Not only is this song nothing short of fantastic, but it comes from one of my favorite movies of 2007. If you haven't seen it, rent it immediately. It's simply a beautiful motion picture, and it contains some of the best music of the year. The winning song, "Falling Slowly," can be heard below.


Congrats to Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova for a well deserved award, and thank you for making such a great movie and song, as well as for an acceptance speech that was actually worthwhile.


Now, this wouldn't be a true Oscar post without naming my favorite movies of 2007. Granted, I have yet to see No Country for Old Men, Juno, There Will Be Blood, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Persepolis, Into the Wild, Sweeny Todd, The Assassination of Jessie James, and many of the other highly rated films from 2007. Still, out of the 18 films I've seen from the past year, here are the 10 best:
  1. Gone Baby Gone
  2. Once
  3. Superbad
  4. Micheal Clayton
  5. Zodiac
  6. Ratatouille
  7. The Bourne Ultimatum
  8. Rescue Dawn
  9. Paprika
  10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
And with that, I thank you all for reading. Plenty of updates will be coming in the near future.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah being sick sucks....i've been sick the past week or so too and its not pleasant...but stop slacking homeboy!

i been checkin this errday mang!